Cascadian Farm Relish, Sweet, 10-Ounce (Pack of 12) Review

Cascadian Farm Relish, Sweet, 10-Ounce (Pack of 12)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Cascadian Farm has some great stuff out there; there's this dark chocolate granola that I swirl into fig yogurt as an amazing albeit sugar-rific dessert. They don't junk their food with corn syrup or agave that I have seen, and they are earth-friendly in their manufacturing. Living in the PNW, brands like Cascadian and Pacific Foods make perfect sense... except when they are awful. No amount of ethics and organic-everything will make me buy this again.
"Sweet" relish should be like sweet pickles--still clearly pickles but with the bread and butter flavor instead of heavy dill and garlic. Sweet relish being key to one of my main varieties of deviled eggs, I tried this out, and oh god, how gross. What relish has WATER added? This relish. I had to drain the syrupy liquid off them and add extra vinegar, and even then, the flavor lacked any real cucumber component--just eating a piece, it's like crunchy sugar with a bit of chemical aftertaste... as if the cukes they use aren't even pickling cucumbers (which are WAY different from the long salad kind we most often get in stores)... too watery, no flavor, and sooo much sugar: 4g sugar for a tablespoon (all its calories from that).
Maybe it's the xantham gum mixed with the sugar-water simple syrup (I checked the labels, and my old kinds NEVER had water added to relish, which makes sense if you think about how 98% of a cucumber is already water and vinegar is another key component), but it's actually more syrupy than relish I've had (ie Mt Olive) that switched over to HFCS in the era of cheapness. In fact, looking at the same serving size of Mt Olive sweet relish or sweet cubes (what I used before), they have HALF the sugar for the same amount, if that puts it into perspective considering it's a southern brand. All this contributed, once I doused it in vinegar, was the texture. Back to doing what I did before: Chopping my OWN pickles for every batch and browsing the depressing aisles trying to find cubes that aren't grossly sweet. That said, in the same trip, I DID find Wickles, which are the closest I can find up here to "Frog Balls" (which are amazing). Wickles Pickles Searching for those... I see THEY have relish. I guess I'll be reviewing THAT soon *crossing my fingers* since I guess I'm always going to love southern style pickles, from the hot to the sweet, and not these sugary insults to vinegar. Cascadian, try cider vinegar and lose the mega-sugar content and water!

Click Here to see more reviews about: Cascadian Farm Relish, Sweet, 10-Ounce (Pack of 12)



Buy Now

Click here for more information about Cascadian Farm Relish, Sweet, 10-Ounce (Pack of 12)

0 comments:

Post a Comment